Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Deluxe Town Diner

I'm not someone who makes New Year's resolutions. Or really pays much attention when one year rolls into another but this year me and the hubby decided it was time to get fit again. We both played lots of sports at school but somehow in the (increasingly speeding-by) years, work and all that boring stuff has got us not get active as much as we would like. So we joined up and we are still klapping it, boet*!

It feels great but some nights, after work, then gym, you just don't.want.to.cook. So we head over to our favourite, favourite diner in Watertown, Massachusetts. Just one town over, its worth the 15 minute drive (we have about 30 restaurants within walking distance or a 5 minute drive).

The Deluxe Town Diner
. As always, click to enlarge.



The friendly but not prying staff are awesome, and the food is great. Yes, a lot of it is comfort food but nothing is greasy, you can substitute rice for fries (or that other fancy wheaty stuff if you want) and get a salad that's to die for. I'm a salad fundi**, so I know.



You also get your water served in a big bottle labelled "Tap Water". And you get to enjoy the great atmosphere of a good ol' American diner. Love it.



So, after two nights in a row of butt-kicking yoga classes, that's where we're heading (and as long as we don't do it so much that we undo all the gym, I think it will be just peachy!)



*That's "smack it, brother" to those who are not familiar with Afrikaans
** That's "expert" to those not familiar with Zulu.

5 comments:

Joanna A. said...

great pics! Even more importantly, you've inspired me to try it again...

kbd said...

you don't like them? I'm sure they're not for everyone but we love them... though the fries were not great tonight. Usually its packed and tonight was unusually quiet so maybe the fries had been sitting around for too long....

Joanna A. said...

great breakfasts but we had a less than steller fried chicken dinner. but we'll try again! too close to home not to! and the atmosphere rocks!!!

Hayley said...

So jealous...I adore American food, and so wish we had diners like this here. I have even thought about opening one :-)

kbd said...

Hayley, I know you love Katz's in New York... they are fun places (although I struggle with American food, we are not best friends). If you opened a diner in SA, I would eat there!