Thursday, May 31, 2007

African Prefab



I'm a huge fan of modern prefab, so imagine my delight when I discovered the South African prefab. It's the brainchild of French-born Eric Bigot, who has worked in areas as far-reaching as the Ministry of Housing in Zambia, to the high-rises of New York City. It's called ZenKaya, which comes from wordplay: "Zen because it is a trouble free experience and Kaya means home in vernacular South African language, where the concept was first sketched", according to the website. The other great thing about ZenKaya prefabs is that they're green. Perfect!





South Africa has come leaps and bounds since the first free and fair election in 1994 in terms of providing housing to those without, and I can only see this as an exciting way to continue that.





I wonder if they deliver in Massachusetts?

No comments: